While using the SDK to add push messages to your application is rather straightforward, obtaining the correct certificate from Apple to upload to the Connect portal can be confusing. Failing to upload the proper "Production" or "Development" SSL certificate can cause Apple Push Notification Services to reject any push messages you create.
The key is to:
- know what type of codesigning you use on your application
- create an Apple Push Notification SSL certificate on the Apple developer portal with an environment ("production" or "development") that corresponds to your codesign selection
- download the Apple SSL certificate
- add the certificate to your keychain
- using keychain, export the certificate to a p12 format
More details can be found here.